1. Chen Yong
  2. UVM
  3. Friday, 16 August 2019
Hi,

When reading with " Using factory overrides " and tried example with uvm-factory-overrides.zip, I'm confused by this piece of code:

`ifdef DRV_STYLE1
// Substitute all instances of base_driver with driver2
set_type_override_by_type (base_driver::get_type(), spi_driver::get_type());
`elsif DRV_STYLE2
// Substitute only eth_driver in agnt2 with spi_driver - by calling the component to be replaced method
eth_driver::type_id::set_inst_override (spi_driver::get_type(), "m_top_env.m_agnt2.m_drv0", this);
`elsif DRV_STYLE3
// Substitute base_driver only in agnt0 - by calling the factory method
factory.set_inst_override_by_type (base_driver::get_type(), eth_driver::get_type(), {get_full_name(), ".m_top_env.m_agnt0.*"});
`endif

When I run test "feature_test" with "DRV_STYLE2" defined, simulator reports error as:

UVM_FATAL @ 0: reporter [FCTTYP] Factory did not return a component of type 'eth_driver #(T)'. A component of type 'spi_driver #(T)' was returned instead. Name=m_drv0 Parent=my_agent_v2 contxt=uvm_test_top.m_top_env.m_agnt2

This confused me. I think this piece of code is used to override eth_driver with spi_driver. The simulator seems returned with spi_driver as request. Why simulator report error? Thanks.
Responses (1)
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
DRV_STYLE2 is expected to give an error and demonstrates that parent classes of a given type can be overridden by its children using the factory, but there will be a type error when a completely different class is returned by the factory. In this case, spi_driver and eth_driver are both children of base_driver. However they are different entities and cannot be substituted one for another. eth_driver_v2 however can be used to override eth_driver since they are related types.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. UVM
  3. # 1
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.

You consent to our cookies if you continue to use our website. To know more about cookies, see our privacy policy. I accept cookies from this site.

Agree